Alappuzha,the water locked district is endowed with immense natural beauty and has emerged as one of the major tourist destination of the country.The sandy strip of land with Arabian Sea to its west is woven by lagoons and an array of rivers, canals and lakes,ideal for boat cruise.
The 'Venice of the East' famous for amazing backwaters,Boat Race,Houseboats,Beaches,Mullakkal Rajarajaeswari Temple,Marine products and Coir industry.
Alappuzha with its immense natural beauty is calling couples to choose from various honeymoon packages
Places of interest
- Pathiramanal - According to mythology a young Brahmin dived into the Vembanadu lake to perform his evening ablutions and the water made way for land to rise from below, thus creating the enchanting island of (sands of midnight) Pathiramanal . This little island on the backwaters is a favourite haunt of hundred of rare migratory birds from different parts of the world. The island lies between Thaneermukkom and Kumarakom, and is accessable only by boat.
- R-Block. - These regions are wonders of the indigenous agricultural engineering kow-how of Kerala and remind the visitor of the famous dikes of Holland. Extensive areas of Land have been reclaimed from the backwaters and are protected by dikes built all around . Here cultivation and habitation are made possible four to ten feet below Sea Level. A leisurely cruise along the Canals that surround these Kayals is a memorable experience.
- Karumadikuttan -Many fascinating legends are associated with this 11th century statue of Lord Buddha.
- Kumarakodi - 20 km south of Alappuzha, Mahakavi Kumaranasan, one of the greatest poets of modern Kerala is laid to rest here. He was the P.D Shelly of Malayalam Literature. As an brought great changes in literature and could give the clarions call for changing the society also.
- Saradha Mandiram, Mavelikkara - A.R Rajaraja Varma was a great poet and grammerian, The Malayalam literature is much indebted to Sri. A.R Thampuran. Saradha Mandiram was built by him as his residence. Now it is bought by the State Govt. & kept as his memorial.
- Krishnapuram Palace - Built by Marthandavarma, this place at karthikappally in Kayamkulam is famous for its mural depicting the story of Gajendramoksham. Dating back to the 18th century, this exquisite piece of art is one of the largest murals in Kerala. This palace museum houses antique sculptures, paintings and bronzes.
- Alappuzha Beach - This is one of the most popular picnic spots in Alappuzha. The pier, which extends into the sea here, is over 137 years old. Entertainment facilities at the Vijaya Beach Park add to the attractions of the beach. There is also an old light house which is greatly fascinating to visitors.
- Sea View park – The park offers boating facilities and a swimming pool.
- Ambalapuzha – Pilgrim center,Sri Krishna Temple famous for its architecture and 'Palpayasam'-a sweet milk porridge.
- Chambakulam Church - The St.Mary's Church,one of the oldest church in Kerala is said to be built by St.Thomas